Welcome to my space to discuss my cooking forays (experimental and nonexperimental), share new recipes, brainstorm food ideas, and talk about anything else that might be interesting. :)

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Foundation for one of the greatest foods on earth

My husband and many of my friends (not to mention yours truly) would probably prefer to have pizza to most any other food on the planet. I was lucky to have delicious homemade pizza as a child. My father found a great dough recipe and was able to get it super thin in the pan, with just the right ratio of crust to sauce to cheese to toppings...perhaps because he's an engineer by trade and pizza was yet another project.

At any rate, I've made pizza many times myself and took Dad's pizza dough recipe and made it my own, adding some cheese and spices to give it even more oomph. You can either press the dough out immediately and add sauce and toppings, or press it into the pan and cover it with a warm moist towel, allowing it to rise slightly for a medium or even a pan-style crust.

Pizza Dough
Ingredients:
1 package active dry yeast
2 cups flour (plus some for board)
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix yeast into water in measuring cup and add sugar, cheese, italian seasoning, salt, and olive oil. Measure flour into large bowl and add liquid mixture, combining fully and add more flour if dough is too sticky. Knead dough in bowl for approximately 3-4 minutes. Lightly oil pizza pan (if not non-stick) and press dough into pan. Top and bake!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I always double the recipe so I can make a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call. Doubling the recipe for me means that I can make a medium or pan crust that takes up an entire full-sized cookie sheet. :) If using a stone or small round pan, a single batch would fit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite way of topping this great dough is to go greek- Pesto, red onion, mushrooms, kalamata olives, and, of course, feta. Its awesome!

    ReplyDelete